Saturday, November 1, 2008

Kitchen Sink Jambalaya

Today is November 1, 2008.

Last year, my good friend Ruth participated in a little thing called NaNoWriMo. I decided to show my support by taking one photo a day for the month of November. Sure, it's no novel, but I am a photographer, not a writer. I successfully completed my project last year. This year, I have decided to play again! I have been tossing around ideas on making my project themed in some way. But in the end, I think I am just going to stick with what I did last year. Just a photo-a-day for an entire month. Please expect to see lots of animals, some nature, my face (and possible Eric's - if I can get him to cooperate), as well as several recipes.

Day 1

kitchen sink jambalaya

Kitchen Sink Jambalaya

Recipe as follows (I don't measure, so everything is just estimated):

One package turkey sausage, sliced then quartered
Half an onion, chopped
A handful or so of baby carrots, chopped
One can diced tomatoes
Half a can corn, drained
One can Pinto beans, drained
One box of Zatarain's Jambalaya Mix
3 Cups of water
salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and herb grilling spices

1. Saute the sausage then move to a separate bowl
2. Saute the carrot then move them with the sausage
3. Saute the onion in a little oil with some red pepper flakes
4. Add water and Zatarain's Mix, bring to a boil
5. Add sausage and carrots, as well as the tomatoes, corn, and beans
6. Throw in some herb grilling spices, garlic powder, salt and pepper
7. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes
8. Voila!

Aside from the sausage and onion, I put pretty much anything in this. This particular recipe goes with the photo above, and is just what I had on hand tonight. Sometimes I will add celery, or just a bag of frozen vegetables. Use whatever you have. it's yummy no matter what you throw in!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Niki, it looks great! Thanks so much for playing along... it helps to know someone else is working at it!

Happy NaPhoTaMo!
(National Photo Taking Month, which you have now started!